Project Overview

Engineers Without Borders' work is capable of widespread impact in Ghana. We started off based in only a few of the nation's 107 regional districts; learning the out-in-the-field realities and building tools to address them.
We are now scaling up proven, effective approaches to infrastructure development from a small number of districts, to a national level. Specifically, we are institutionalizing evidence-based infrastructure planning at the district, regional and national levels. To ensure we have an enduring impact, EWB is building the capacity of district staff to manage and execute these evidence based decisions, teaching these skills to the Ghanains who are best able to implement them from their positions as managers and field experts.

September 9, 2010

"You are welcome"

"You are very welcome" is a phrase everyone hears alot of around here.
Anytime someone enters a room they are greeted with a warm 'you are welcome' and meeting people usually involves a heartfelt 'you are very welcome here'. So I have been welcomed many times in my new temporary home.

I am currently in the village of Walewale, a small town about 100 kms outside of Ghana's big city of the North, Tamale.

The buildings looks exactly like you'd imagine. Along the highway little shacks support just about any business you can imagine in a chaos of traffic of all types and sizes.



Buses, transport trucks, shiny NGO pickups, overloaded taxis, donkey carts, motorcycles, cyclists, and pedestrians with absurdly large loads on their heads all compete for road space. The bigger you are, the more priority you get.




Off the highway mud huts circle to form compounds. Children of like ages run around alternately helping their parents when requested and otherwise getting into as much trouble as possible.



Tucked in the heart of the village off the road is the family I am living with. The man of the house, Salifu, is the district water and sanitation engineer, so I basically don't stop bouncing ideas off him when he is home. His wife Agata (Ah-gah-ta) has taken me on as her Canadian sister, even going so far as to say the neighbors are mistaking us for each other. I do love my Ghanain sister, but I think the neighbors may be a little short sighted.



Agata promises that Jason will be very happy when I am returning, because I will be a good cook. She is pretty shocked at what I don't know, like how to make Fufu, the most basic dish of boiled maize flour made into a paste. For my part, I'm hoping to come home with some mad cooking skills, and I'm very happy cooking with Agata in the evening after work.



Even when Agata is cooking, she is taking care of the gaggle of children in the family home. Her oldest daughter Julie-Anna is 17 years old, and about to start the final year of high school. Like most new Moms, Julie is more than a little tired, but her two month old baby Malick is happy and healthy.



Agata's brother's nephew Aquesee will come back from the remote village he lives in to go to school here in Walewale. Alahssam and Fushina are two 5 yr. old twins, who are most easily told apart because Fushina refuses to keep her dress on in the heat of the day.



Agata's last child is called Junior, and at two years old he definately rules the roost.

6 comments:

  1. I don't want these questions to count as my question, so you don't have to answer them:
    - Is that a mashing device you are holding to pound boiled maize?
    - Do they turn the fufu into patties and then roast it? Or is it the type of thing that can be cooked in a variety of ways?

    And if I haven't mentioned it, I LOVE your short hairdo. So cute! Almost as cute as Fushina (is that her in the second to last photo?).
    Everyone has the most beautiful smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Pam! Especially the 'you are welcome' part - takes me back to Ghana... I catch myself saying it here sometimes and it doesn't seem to translate as well; people are confused because they didn't thank me for anything but I'm saying 'you're welcome'!
    Hope all is well!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post Pam!

    Really great to hear more about the people you are living with. They all sound wonderful, especially Agata and her seemingly tireless efforts to manage the compound.

    Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few corrections as I figure out what I'm talking about - Fufu is actually pounded yams, boiled then pounded. Ah, and I can make it really well now. Even the kids like it, and they are too young to be polite.

    TZ (pron. Tee-Zed)is boiled maize flour, which is ground and doesn't need pounding. Its like a slightly soft polenta. Banku is fermented maize, made the same way.

    Fufu, TZ, and Banku are all served with a little peanut soup, Okra soup, or hot chili pepper soup. If you're feeling rich (and not vegetarian)a little meat would be added too.

    Jody - love that! You know you are always welcome here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam - lovely posts, thank you. The "you are welcome" made me smile :) That was something my roommate said to me everyday. I think that saying and "you are so free" were some of my favourite phrases from Ghana.
    Hope you are doing well,
    xo
    carissa

    ReplyDelete